We support the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI). There are six aspirational tenants:
- incorporate Ethical, Social and Governance (ESG) issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes.
- be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
- seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
- promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry.
- work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles.
- each report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles.
The first way of defending against non-compliant investments is negative screening – excluding businesses because they harm the environment or society. A second defence is positive screening – engaging with companies to encourage better management decisions to increase worker rights, better environmental decisions and assess how the company react and remedies any lapses. When you invest with a focus on “doing no harm” and working towards good Environmental, Social and Governance outcomes, everyone wins. This is why, socially responsible investing is no longer a nice to have, but rather a must have for the prudent investor.
If these considerations are as important to you as they are to us, then please get in touch to see how we can help you towards a more sustainable investment path.